GINGERBREAD CAKEThe holidays are vast approaching, if not are already here. Yet many of us are trying to be "smart" about what foods and desserts we may consume to not overdo it and opt out for the healthy option so we can still enjoy so many great foods and sweet yummy goodies without going overboard. I found this recipe online via healthy recipes blogs and is SO good. I made some the other day and it is super moist, so much flavor and made with a low-fat icing is just down right delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1//2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with baking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon and cocoa powder.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together butter, molasses and sugar. Whisk in the eggs and the milk until combined. Gradually whisk wet mixture into flour mixture, whisking until well-combined and smooth.
4. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until top of cake is just firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes, depending on your oven. Mine was ready after 35 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack, about 30 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.
I also found another great post on making your own home-made low-fat icing and it's super easy to make, and tastes like your eating actual icing haha
First, Make your powdered sugar by taking 1 cup of sweetener such as xylitol or stevia or even splenda would probably work. Add 1 - 2 tbsp of cornstarch (to prevent clumping) and put it in a blender until its smooth and powdery.
Now take that 1 cup of powdered sugar you made, add in 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and 1 1/2 tbsp of milk and blend until smooth. Voila, low-fat low-sugar delicious icing you can now make for any cake you make. You can also add in some low-fat cream cheese for something different, or even some cocoa powder if you want a chocolatey frosting.